MORE HATCH AND DOOR PROGRESS
I picked up some parts to seal the hatch and door openings. I think I have a good seal for the hatch and am working on some ideas for the door.
I found this rubber liner used on the bottom of garage doors which might be a good waterproof barrier for the door frame.
I found this door trim which is pretty bendy and looks reasonably water tight. I’m going to try it around the hatch.
TRIM TEST LOCATION
The trim wont sit exactly here but it’ll be something like this.
COVERING THE HATCH
The luan ply bent easily over the hatch frame. Unfortunately I’m out of large bits of ply so I couldn’t finish the hatch today.
Here you can see the hatch frame from the inside. I’m going to cover this with some luan as well.
A DOOR ROUGHED OUT
Here is one of the doors roughly cut out.
DOOR FRAME CONCEPT
I’m hoping to source a custom door frame made of some extruded aluminum c-channel. This will clean up the look and protect the door opening from weather and use.
DOOR FRAME CUT-AWAY
The aluminum c-channel will cover the edge of the door as well as the door opening.
DOOR FROM THE INSIDE
The size seems about right, it’s pretty easy to get in and out.
DOOR CUT OUT
The wall separated from the frame a bit so I’m using wood glue and clamps to squeeze the layers back together. When that’s done I’ll smooth out the opening with some wood-filler and a bunch of sanding.
SHORT TERM RELOCATION
I had to move the trailer out of my shop while some skylights were installed. I put the trailer up on a dolly I made of 2×4″s and some casters and we rolled it right out the door. I have to admit I was slightly concerned this would be a huge ordeal but the trailer is light enough right now a couple of people can still lift it.